Time flies quickly these days and it seems to have shifted into warp speed ever since Evan arrived. Our sweet boy turned one month old on Sunday! He has grown quite a bit since his grand May arrival, now weighing 10 lbs 3 oz and measuring 22.25 inches long. Looks like I’ll end up having two tall and handsome men in my life. 🙂
Eliana grows more beautiful and adventurous every day! She is on the move from the moment she wakes until bedtime. While I’m still learning how to keep up with my gorgeous bundle of energy, I wouldn’t have it any other way! Her zest for life and outgoing demeanor brings a fresh element of surprise to each new day. Eliana askes for Evan first thing each morning, wanting to greet him with hugs and smiles. We’re still teaching her how to gently love on Evan, but there is no question that she adores her little brother. Anytime he cries, Eliana is right there to enthusiastically tell him, “Its okay!”
The past month has been many things: hilarious, emotional, eye-opening, precious, refining, thrilling, exhausting. But above all, it has been a blessing. I could not be more grateful for these two precious children, thankful for their health and humbled that God entrusted such amazing gifts to Jordan and me. I would not trade a single day for anything else in the world!
To say the past few months have been a whirlwind would be a ginormous understatement. In a blink, time has flown from being massively pregnant and traveling to DC to now being a mother of two amazing kids. Evan Garrett turns 3 weeks old tomorrow and though he has only been with us a short time, I could not imagine life without him in it. I am completely smitten with this precious little boy and amazed at the love Eliana shows him daily. Jordan continues to astound me with the incredible father he is to our kids and how he finds little ways daily to encourage and love me. Simply put — I am blessed beyond measure and comprehension.
I hope to blog more regularly in the days and weeks ahead as I adjust to our family’s new routine (and hopefully gain more sleep). There are pictures to be posted, stories to be told, posts to catch up on, and hilarious pregnant moments to share. But for now, know that the Leinos are having an amazing summer. Thank you all for your prayers on our behalf as we waiting for Evan’s arrival and the joy you have shared with us since his birth. More to come soon!
I’m not sure what it is about this week: perhaps the change of seasons, this ever-growing baby boy, or some bug that’s going around. Whatever the cause, I have certainly been under the weather this week. Nausea, leg cramps, heart burn, migraines. Not my best week for sure. But despite the lingering yuck and sleepless nights, I’m reminded there is much to be thankful for in the midst of feeling ill:
God has provided so much for our family. A safe home, a warm bed, food, clothing, medicine to help with aches and discomforts, healthy children, a new baby on the way, white cells. While I don’t feel my best at all, I’m in far better shape than countless many in our country and around the world. This too shall pass. Being physically slowed down for the week, I’ve been able to focus far more during my reading times in the Bible and elsewhere. Some times the most undesired circumstances can bring about rich, hidden blessings. Who knew the Book of Numbers had so much to say!
My husband is truly amazing. He has cared for Eliana and I incredibly well all during one of the busiest work weeks of the year so far. He sweetly tells me I’m beautiful on my yuckiest days, rubs my ever-cramping feet, and has made many runs to Target for more ginger ale…at all hours of the day. My daughter is precious. She seems to understand why Mommy has needed to be on the couch so much, often running over just to give me a hug or lay there with me. So sweet. I’m blessed with an wonderful family, both immediate and in-laws. They are all caring and considerate, praying on my behalf and sending encouraging messages throughout the day. I’m surrounded by incredible friends. They are always a delight to be around and can bring a smile to even the most nauseous face. Friends in every season. What a blessing!
This may not be the most fabulous week of my life, but it certainly has not been the worst. My life is not perfect. However, in the midst of the good, the bad and the mundane, God promises to with me (Deut. 31.8). He truly is all I need (Phil. 4.19). Whether we’re at the top of our game or under the weather, enjoying the views from a beautiful mountaintop or trudging through the fog of a dark valley, there is always an opportunity to be thankful.
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Philippians 4.4
- I’m 27 weeks pregnant today. Little Man Leino has become quite a busy-body. He is definitely strong, kicking and moving his arms with far more force than my other two kiddos at this stage. At times it feels like he’s doing somersaults or boxing. I can’t wait to meet this feisty little guy in June!
- The warmer weather has allowed Eliana to spend much more time outside and she has loved it! She wants to be outdoors every chance she gets. Often her first word in the morning is “outside?” Such a happy little girl. Whether she’s flying kites with Daddy, helping Maima in her garden or coloring on the porch in a hula skirt, Eliana has a blast anytime she’s in the sun.
- Leino Studios had a fabulous first week in its new location. We are so thankful for the new space God provided for Jordan’s business. Though we are still putting some final decorating touches on the space, Jordan has already enjoyed the benefits of having much more space for all his musical and business needs. A step forward in every way, we’re excited to see all that is in store for the Studio in this next season.
- Our little girl loves to sing! Any time music is playing, she’s singing and dancing along. Maima has been teaching Eliana the words and motions for “Itsy, Bitsy Spider”. It amazes me to watch her pick up phrases and hand motions so quickly. I found her trying to get one of her baby dolls to do the motions this past week. Precious!
- Journey just finished a series on Love. Boy, has it impacted me! Over four weeks, our church took an in-depth look into what Scripture says about Love: God’s love, our love for Him, our love for others and our love for ourselves. I’ve found myself reading through my notes over and again, wanting to listen to the sermons more than once as they have really challenged me to grow and convicted me in areas I certainly need it. I highly encourage everyone to take the time to listen to the messages. Since Jesus said that the world will know His disciples by our love, its an area we all could grow in.
- Well the sunshine and an energetic little lady are calling me outside. Be sure to check back here on Monday as I’ll be sharing the most amazing carrot cupcake recipe I have ever tasted! Seriously….BEST EVER! Happy weekend, everyone!
Filed under Eliana, Evan, Family, Fun, Jordan, Journey Church, Leino Studios, Patience, Photography, Random, Weather
Eliana has really improved in learning how to feed herself at mealtimes. Mostly neat and no longer throwing things on the floor, our little girl is growing up so fast. Then we had pot roast with mashed potatoes…
No, that’s not water nor styling gel in her hair. This lovely do comes from a whopping handful of mashed potatoes! In a blink, Eliana’s hand scooped up a fist full of spuds and wiped it all in her hair. Needless to say, she went straight from the dinner table to the bathtub. She is one adorable, messy lady!
Eliana continues to grow in taking care of her baby dolls. Stroller rides, wiping their noses, reading books to them. Much to my surprise and delight, I found her attempting to diaper her doll this week. She was quite determined to make sure her baby’s bottom was covered. So cute! She’s definitely going to be an amazing big sister this summer.
Our family traveled to Brandon, FL, this past weekend to visit Jordan’s family. Between the good company and beautiful weather, it was a great trip. We spent Saturday at Vero Beach visiting his grandmother, Virginia, along with his sister, Kim, who drove in from Gainesville to see us. Good food, great conversations, and an intense game of Bananagrams. We had a wonderful time together. I’m so grateful that Eliana has the chance to know two great-grandparents – both who are still vibrant and living life to its fullest.
The weather in Vero Beach was stunning. 60’s and sunny. Quite a relief from the frigid winter we’ve had in Raleigh. Despite the chilly winds, we took Eliana to the boardwalk to run to heart’s content and see the ocean. She had a blast!