Confession: I have an addiction. Meringues! These light, fluffy, gooey, delectable treats always leave me craving another bite. The fact that they are primarily egg whites and contain no flour often has me rationalizing just one…or twenty…more. I now limit myself to making a batch only for the purpose of taking them to someone because let’s be honest – they will all be gone by morning. It’s for the baby…really!
In honor of this deliciousness, here’s a recipe for chocolate chip meringues for your enjoyment. You can use any size chip but I prefer mini morsels or Andes mint chips. (The original recipe bakes the meringues at 300°F but I’ve found 310° works better for our oven.) Eliana loves to watch the clear egg whites whip up in a frenzy into thick, glossy goodness.
So grab your bakers’ hat, your favorite apron, your sweet tooth and bake away!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, vinegar and vanilla while whipping to stiff peaks. Mixture should be glossy. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are dry. Yeilds 4 dozen cookies.
Here’s wishing you all a delightfully delicious weekend!